‘Man With Van’ versus Removal Company
When you are moving home one of the most important things to consider is how you are going to get your belongings from your old home to your new one. It is often not a viable option to use your car and go back and forth with loads of boxes, this often costs you more in petrol and certainly more in time with the travelling time included. Furthermore, you may have items that are large, or unusually sized, and therefore won’t fit into your car or on top of your roof rack.
You may be unsure at this point, whether you need a removal company or if a man with a van will suffice, you may even be wondering what the difference between the two is. Here the two are defined, compared and contrasted against one another, to help you determine which service is best suited to your needs.
Both a man with a van and a removal service are designed to help people move home or office, the main difference between the two is that of size. Removal companies are much bigger, they have more staff and bigger and newer vehicles, however, they are also more costly. Removal companies are also often able to offer further services, such as Packing services and Storage services to completely take the stress out of moving for you, they may even dismantle and put back together furniture. Employees working for a removals company will be qualified, trained and experienced and will more than likely be fully equipped to deal with any speciality items you may want moving, such as grand-father clocks, piano’s, mirrors etc. Removal services are also able to help you move internationally, or can offer shared removal services to reduce the costs involved for the customer. Some removal companies are members of the British Association of Remover, and as a result must conform to a certain standard of conduct.
A man with a van is a smaller scale and cheaper alternative to removal services, more often than not they will have a few vans of varying sizes, some full time staff and some freelance workers. Most employees will not be qualified or trained, but will be experienced in removal services. In most cases a man with a van will have to do go back and forth in between properties a number of times as the vans usually cannot fit the entire contents of a house in. Furthermore they may not have the man power available to move larger items, meaning you may have to have a lot more involvement in order to get the move finished in a timely manner.
Ask yourself the following questions to help you make your decision:
• How far is it in between properties? If it is a distance then a man with a van may not be able to help you, especially if you are moving internationally.
• Do you have any belongings that you would like special care to be taken with? Removal companies are specially trained to pack and safely move all delicate and expensive items.
• Do you have any large items that require a bigger work force to move? You may need a Removal Company who are able to provide a workforce better suited to you.
• How much work are you willing to do? If you hire a man with a van you can expect to get your hands dirty, however, if you book with a removals company, they can do all the hard work for you.
• Would you like the move to be completed in one trip? If so you need a larger lorry, and most likely a removals company.
• How important is money? Would you rather save some cash or is the extra help during a stressful time invaluable to you?